Jose Mourinho boycott Friday’s press conference at Chelsea’s Cobham base after being charged with improper conduct by the FA during the week following the hoo-haa that followed December 28 1-1 draw at Southampton.
Mourinho was left furious after Cesc Fabregas was booked for diving by referee Anthony Taylor during the Barclays Premier game at the St Mary’s claiming the ref “influenced” the result and a it looked like a “campaign” against his team when replays showed the Spanish midfielder had been tripped by Matt Targett.
The Portuguese said after the match: “It is a scandal because it is not a small penalty, it is a penalty like Big Ben. It was a big mistake with a big influence on the result.
“I will go to the referee and wish him a good year and tell him he will be ashamed. It is clearly the result of something that looks like a campaign.”
Ahead of Saturday’s home game against Newcastle United, Mourinho decided not to talk to the press, but took charge of training session in the morning and left the talking job to his assistant Steve Holland.
During the press conference, an irate Holland also backed Mourinho on the subject of a campaign against the league leaders stressing that everyone at the club is “frustrated” including the players and the coaching crew.
“There is a frustration with all of us, not just Jose – it’s the coaches and players because of an accumulation of events that surfaced at Southampton,” Holland said.
“It was a penalty and then to compound it, it was a yellow card. If the penalty was given we presume we would have won the game, those two points prove to be vital.
“There is a frustration, small margins determine success or failure.
“Jose has been fine and focused on the game because it is an important game. We lost to Newcastle and we are determined to put that right.”