Brazilian youngster Gabriel Fernando has rejected a scholarship with Manchester City and is on the verge of joining Manchester United.
The 16-year-old, who joined City in March 2012 from Sporting Lisbon, is a talented attacking midfielder and it is understood that City were keen to keep Fernando at the club.
However, Fernando has taken to Twitter to confirm that he refused a deal to remain at Manchester City and ALLSOCCERPLANET understands that he has been training with the Manchester United youth team this past week.
On Twitter whether he had been released from City or if he had refused to stay, @Gabby_Fernando replied: ‘Refused.’ United are expected to offer Fernando terms to sign for the club and in doing so, the midfielder will become the first youth signing of the David Moyes era at Old Trafford.
On August 12, the Portuguese-Brazilian, whose full name is Gabriel Fernando Morais Casseres de Almeida, confirmed that he would be leaving Manchester City after fifteen months at the club.
Writing on Twitter, he said: ‘I would like to thank all the Manchester City fans for their support and the stuff to help me develop my game @MCFC.’
Since then, Fernando has dropped a number of subtle hints about his future at United, after confirming to a City supporter’s account that he will be joining a Barclays Premier League side while the skilful star yesterday told his followers that he was ‘going to the Trafford centre again for a meal.’